RETURNKitsa (Aggeliki) Damasioti-Harisiadi

Kitsa (Aggeliki) Damasioti-Harisiadi

Soloist, Mezzo-Soprano
She was born in Tanta, Egypt or Volos in 1915. She studied singing with C. Triantafyllou at the National Conservatory and after her graduation in 1937, continued her studies in Paris, Rome and the Music Academy of Munich. She belonged to the Greek National Opera’s initial group of solo singer. She was in all the performances mounted by the GNO between 1953-1954. In 1958 she was invited to participate in the production of the opera Iphigenia inTauris [Iphigenie en Tauride] at the Herodion (GNO, Athens Festival). She sang in productions and revivals of around twenty operas, ten of which were first-time revivals. Madame Butterfly [Madama Butterfly] (Suzuki), Carmen (Carmen), The Afternoon Love [To apogevma tis agapis] by Marios Varvoglis, The Beggar Student [Der Bettelstudent] (Arapina), Orient [Anatoli] by Manolis Kalomiris, Iphigenia in Tauris, Mignon, The Tartuffes by Yiaggakis, Perouze by Sakellaridis, Le nozze di Figaro (Cherubino), La Forza del Destino (Preziosilla). She became famous for the role of Carmen. She also appeared in the opera houses of Ankara (Carmen), of Belgrade and Zagreb and performed in concerts in Moscow, Constantinople and Alexandria. She is among the first greek solo singers who sang in the Soviet Union after the civil war, In 1955 she became a permanent member of the Dusseldorf Opera where she sang in the operas Don Carlo, The Magic Flute [Die Zauberflöte], Die Walküre etc. In the period 1955-1960 she sang the role of Cherubino [Le nozze di Figaro] at the German Opera on the Rhine (Deutsche Oper am Rhein) and Eboli [Don Carlo] at the Vienna State Opera. From 1966 she taught at the State Conservatory of Thessaloniki. She taught orthophony at the Drama School of the National Theater of Northern Greece and singing at the Municipal Conservatory of Larissa (1982-1989). Surviving is the visual and acoustic recrodings of her interpration of the role of Herodiade [Salome] produced by the State Opera of Vienna under the direction of Hans Swarowsky (1960).