RETURN

Anthi Zacharatou

Soloist, Soprano
She was born in Temryuk Bay, northern coast of the Black Sea, USSR in 1922. She studied singing with Elvira de Hidalgo at the Athens Conservatory and with Kimon Triantafyllou at the Piraeus Conservatory. In 1939, she was hired by the newly founded chorus of the Greek National Opera. In 1945, she was tenured at the GNO and promoted to solοist, starring in the operetta The Godson [O Vaftistikos] by Sakellaridis. In 1946, she married director Nikos Synadinos, son of Theodore Synadinos, two times Director General of the Greek National Opera. She sang with the GNO for four decades (1940-1980), interpreting roles in 24 operettas, four operas and one musical, in about 85 new productions and revivals. Her first major success was recorded in the operetta The Csárdás Princess [Die Csárdásfürstin] (1945), for which music critics called her “the queen of the operetta” and praised her music talent and her radiant stage performance. She starred in almost all operetta first produced by the GNO: The Godson [O Vaftistikos], Christina, The Streetwalker [H Ginaika Tou Dromou], In the barracks [Sta parapigmata], The Princess of Sasson [I pringipissa tis Sassonos], The Tartuffes [Oi tartuffoi], The bat [Die Fledermaus], The Merry Widow [Die lustige Witwe], The Beggar Student [Der Bettelstudent], Paganini, Countess Mariza [Gräfin Mariza], The Beautiful Helen [La belle Hélène], etc. She performed leading roles in the operas: The Tales of Hoffmann [Les contes d'Hoffmann] (Antonia), The Bartered Bride [Prodaná nevěsta] (Mařenka), La bohème (Musetta), Martha (Martha). She took part in tours abroad, most notably the tour in the Soviet Union (1954). During the years of the military dictatorship in Greece, she was fired from the GNO twice (1967, 1971), but was rehired upon the restitution of democracy. She was elected member of the municipal council of the City of Athens (1950-1968, 1975-1982) and served as vice president of the Greek Actors Association (1955-1959 and after the junta). She collaborated with the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT). In 1952, she appeared in the film adaptation of The Godson [O Vaftistikos]. She has participated in recordings while several of her interpretations in operettas are preserved in the public television’s audiovisual archive (1950s).